2021 Oct 16 – Saturday at 7am
Run along peaceful, rural backroads in beautiful Mathews County, Virginia. Enjoy the fast, flat course that winds through dirt, gravel and paved roads and past the serenity of one of Virginia’s last great countrysides. Registration will open on January 10 and will close upon reaching 200 participant maximum – or on October 10.
$50 Full Marathon — $40 Half Marathon
The race start & finish is in the town center of Mathews: the full marathon participants will hit the roads at 7am and the half marathon runners will begin shortly after. We will stagger the race starts in waves of 25 or fewer participants; your actual start time will be between 7-7:30am with the full marathon runners heading out first. The course will have volunteers staged every 2-3 miles with water and gel – scroll down to view course maps.
- Pre-registration only – no race day sign up will be available. Registration will close one week before the event date to allow us to order correct shirt sizes & quantities.
- The race course is along open roads (not closed to traffic). “Caution Runner” signs will be prominently displayed along the route and participants are advised to be aware of other runners and motorists.
- All participants in the Full & Half Marathon will receive a finisher medal and custom hooded sweatshirt to commemorate their accomplishment. Awards will be presented to fastest overall finishers and to winners in several categories.
- Cut Off Times – all participants must be at the Half Marathon point (13.1 miles) at 3 hours or sooner. Full Marathon participants who reach the 13.1 mile (halfway) point after 3 hours will have his or her timeclock stopped and will be considered as finished with the event.
- Post Event Activities will be held at the Put In Creek park pavilion. Race participants and spectators are encouraged to enjoy the Mathews Farmers Market which will be ongoing at the adjoining courthouse area. Awards will be presented at noon and all activities will wrap up at 1pm – race support will end at that time as well. Any racers who are still on the course after six hours will be offered transportation to the finish area by the event crew.
Able to help as a volunteer or sponsor?
Health & Safety
The health & safety of event participants, spectators, volunteers and community residents are top of mind as we plan & prepare for our events. Check back to this section for the latest adjustments to this event in response to Virginia state guidelines. Important to note: the Mathews Marathon & Half Marathon will proceed on the date scheduled barring any weather-related disruptions. The start times and post-event activities may be subject to change as noted here. Direct email communication will be sent out to registered participants as well.
January 1, 2021 Update. As of this date, registration for the event will be capped at 200. Participants will start in groups of 25 or less and start times will be staggered. Post-race activities will comply with Virginia limitations on social gatherings as of event date. Awards: if post-race activities are restricted, results will be shared via email; winners will be able to pick up awards at a designated place/time (winner photos taken during pickup will be posted on this page along with results).
Proceeds Benefit Local Athletes
Our local school athletes ability to train and compete has been seriously impacted by the recent health crisis – along with their ability to organize fundraising activities. Our club receives support from these local athletes and their parents during our events, and is paying back with cash and equipment donations. The race director for the Mathews Marathon has selected the local athletes as the recipients of this event proceeds. Your support helps us help them – thank you!
Wrightly Reed, Race Director
Wrightly Reed lives with his wife and family on Gwynn’s Island in Mathews County, where he has lived since 2014 – relocating from Fairfax County in Northern Virginia. Wrightly started running seriously after moving to Gwynn’s Island and is a regular at local area races. His training runs grew longer and longer, until he found himself competing and completing his first ultra marathon in 2020!
Wrightly approached the club with this local race idea a couple years ago – finally, the planets (and work schedules) aligned for the partnership. When he isn’t spending time with family & friends and running the Gwynn’s Island roads, Wrightly works as a Tug Boat operator.
hours minutes seconds
Registration Closes 10/10
Traveling to Mathews?
There’s a reason that visitors call Mathews an ‘undiscovered gem’ – the unspoiled scenery, slow pace, and so much waterfront that we almost take it for granted just to name a few things. Mathews County is off the beaten path: you should plan to spend your marathon weekend with us! Visit the Mathews County Visitor Information Center website to find area activities and dining & lodging options.